Friday 21 March 2008

It pleased God to kill Jesus

He was wounded for our transgressions; He was crushed for our iniquities; upon Him was the chastisement that brought us peace, and with His stripes we are healed. All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned everyone to his own way; and the Lord has laid on Him the iniquity of us all. He was oppressed and afflicted, yet He opened not His mouth; like a lamb that is led to the slaughter, and like a sheep before its shearers is silent, so He opened not His mouth...
[Jesus] began to teach them that the Son of Man must suffer many things and be rejected by the elders and the chief priests and the scribes and be killed, and after three days rise again.
Woe to that man by whom the Son of Man is betrayed! It would be better for that man if he had not be born.
One of the twelve whose name was Judas Iscariot, went to the chief priests and said, 'What will you give me if I deliver Him over to you?' And they paid Him thirty pieces of silver.
Now this man bought a field with the reward of wickedness, and falling headlong he burst open in the middle and all his bowels gushed out.
While he [Jesus] was still speaking, there came a crowd. And one of them struck the servant of the high priest and cut off his right ear. But Jesus said, 'No more of this!' And He touched his ear and healed him. Then they seized Him and led Him away. Pilate took Jesus and flogged Him. And the soldiers twisted together a crown of thorns and put it on His head and arrayed Him in a purple robe. They came up to Him, saying, 'Hail King of the Jews!' and struck Him with their hands. Pilate went out again and said to them, 'See, I am bringing Him out to you that you may know that I find no fault in Him'. They took Jesus, and He went out, bearing His own cross, to the place of a skull which in Aramaic is called Golgotha. There they crucified Him.
I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint; my heart is like wax; it is melted within my breast; my strength is dried up like a potsherd, and my tongue sticks to its jaws; you lay me in the dust of death. For dogs encompass me; a company of evildoers encircles me; they have pierced my hands and feet. My God, my God why have you forsaken me?
Jesus, knowing that all was now finished, said (to fulfil the Scripture), 'I thirst'. A jar of sour wine stood there, so they put a sponge full of the sour wine on a hyssop branch and held it to His mouth. When Jesus had received the sour wine, he said 'It is finished', and bowed His head and gave up His spirit.
It was the will of God to crush Him; he has put Him to grief. Out of the anguish of His soul He shall see and be satisfied. A hanged man is cursed by God. By sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and for sin, he condemned sin in the flesh. For our sake He made Him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in Him we might become the righteousness of God.
Is 53v5-7, Mark 8v31, Mark 14v21, Matt 26v14, Acts 1v18, Luke 22v47,50, 51, 54, Luke 19v1-4, John 19v16-18, Psalm 22v14-16, 1, John 19v28-30, Is 53v10,11, Deut 20v23, Rom 8v3, 2Cor 5v21


Enjoy Easter at Mars Hill

No comments: